(This procedure is adaptable for both charcoal and gas grills)
Any wood chips of your choice will do. We use cherry, apple and hickory.
1. Soak 2 cups of wood chips in water at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
2. Drain wood chips thoroughly and place in the center of a piece of aluminum foil.
3. Fold foil securely to form a square pouch. Poke holes on one side for the smoke to escape.
4. For charcoal grills, place the coals to one side of your grill, light and wait until the coals start to show a light layer of white ash. For gas grills, preheat one side of your grill.
5. Place pouch of wood chips directly on coals or lava rocks with the holes facing up. (If you are using a gas grill, turn heat down to low at this point).
6. Place items to be smoked on COLD side of grill. Depending on the size of your grilling rack, you may need to place meat on a piece of aluminum foil. Season with salt and pepper and /or your favorite spice combination.
7. Close the lid on your grill and relax.
8. Depending on the size of your items and the heat of your grill, the cook times may vary. Expect at least 2 to 6 hours of cook time.
9. When the items are done to your liking, they should have a nice internal smoke ring.
10. At this time, you may brush the items with your favorite sauce.
11. Serve extra sauce on the side.
Disposing of the wood chip pouch should be done with caution. Submerse the pouch in water.